WYLD TECHNOTE 001a: Access to Other Databases - Norton (Symantec) Internet Security 2005 and 2006
Default settings in Norton Internet Security (2005 and 2006) and Personal Firewall may not allow a proxy server to work for remote access. Even if you think you have turned Norton off, you may still need to make the changes selected below to allow access to the databases. For older versions of Norton (2004 and prior), see Norton's instructions.
For the 2005 or 2006 version of Norton to work with the WYLD proxy server, additional configuration changes are needed.
- Open the Norton program
- Select the button for Norton Internet Security
- Click on the Privacy Control option on the right.
- Click on the 'configure' button.
- In the Privacy Control window, click on Advanced.
- In the Advanced Options window, click on the Add Site button.
- Add the following domain: wyld.state.wy.us. (do not leave the 'www' if it appears by default)
- Under the Global settings tab on the right uncheck Use default settings under 'Information about your browser' and make sure that the radio button permit is selected.
- Under 'Information about visited sites', uncheck Use default settings and change the radio button to permit. (Do not use 'permit same site'). Then click 'OK'
- Next add this domain: ez.lib.wy.us and follow steps 8 and 9 again.
- Click on 'OK' and close the program.
The above steps should now allow you to access the WYLD databases through the proxy server. If you continue to experience problems, please contact the Wyoming State Library at firstname.lastname@example.org or 307-777-6954. To contact Norton/Symantec directly: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html.
Back to Technote 001 - General information on database access.