technotes & documentation
Interlibrary Loans Skills Checklist
- Know the General Skills Checklist and be signed up for the appropriate email distribution list.
- Be familiar with WYLD Technotes and State Library Webinars. Review periodically for updates.
- Be able to evaluate a request, e.g. be able to determine why a VDX request has idle status, determine its source of origin or if a reference interview is necessary to complete the interlibrary loan (ILL) request due to lack of information. Have basic knowledge of electronic resources that are available and how they may be used in processing ILL requests, especially in the processing of article requests. Be able to describe requested material as completely and accurately as possible..
- Know basic research skills and how to conduct a basic reference interview with a patron, for more information see ALA Online Interview.
- Be familiar with help and other expertise within house, otherwise contact the Wyoming State Library; especially because of the continuing changes in this domain, also be familiar with VDX helps. Know when to contact the WYLD Office when other helps don't help.
- Be able to execute the WYLD circulation steps necessary at the beginning and end of an ILL transaction.
- Understand the VDX work process and how it interacts with the WYLD SirsiDynix system and OCLC.
- Have a working knowledge of the guidelines and procedures stated in the Statewide ILL Manual and the "Interlibrary Loan Best Practices for Wyoming Libraries" statement.
- Know what document delivery options are available at your library and how to use them.
- Know your library's Interlibrary Loan policy, how patrons may access it and who determines when an exception should be allowed.
- Monitor ILL requests to determine library collection needs and communicate that information with appropriate staff.
- Know how to access context sensitive online help in Symphony Workflows for instructions.
- Be able to check the status of patron requests in VDX and OCLC (Worldshare).
- Understand how to use the e-journal portal.
- Understand the role of your library's circulation map and how to view your library's circulation map online.
- Understand restrictions and limitations regarding copyright and licensing for journal articles in the electronic databases.
- Understand loan vs. copy non-returnable requests in VDX (see VDX helps) and the proper way to place a journal article request.
- Know how to access and maintain information for your library in the OCLC ILL policy directory.
- For those libraries using the OCLC (Worldshare) ILL module, understand the OCLC administrative module and how it interacts with VDX.
- Know options that may be available for "non-supplied" requests.
- Know methods to obtain ILL items that are not in VDX or OCLC and/or items in VDX and OCLC that do not have a supplying library.
- Know how to use the SirsiDynix customer resources via the SD Support Center. Email Brian Greene, WYLD Program Manager at email@example.com for access.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist.
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist.
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | Enterprise Catalog | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials