technotes & documentation
SKILLS: Interlibrary Loans Skills Checklist
- Know the General Skills Checklist and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/email/lists.cfm).
- Be able to evaluate a request, e.g. be able to determine why a VDX request has idle status, determine its source of origin or if a reference interview is necessary to complete the ILL request due to lack of information. Have basic knowledge of electronic resources that are available and how they may be used in processing interlibrary loan requests, especially in the processing of article requests. Be able to describe requested material as completely and accurately as possible.
- Know basic research skills and how to conduct a basic reference interview with a patron.
- Be familiar with the help available from the State Library (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/vdx/) as well as VDX helps.
- Be able to execute the WYLD circulation steps necessary at the beginning and end of an ILL transaction ( http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/vdx/tracking.html).
- Understand the VDX work process and how it interacts with the WYLD SirsiDynix system and OCLC.
- Have a working knowledge of the guidelines and procedures stated in the Statewide ILL Manual and the "Interlibrary Loan Best Practices for Wyoming Libraries" statement.
- Know what document delivery options are available at your library and how to use them.
- Know your library's Interlibrary Loan policy, how patrons may access it and who determines when an exception should be allowed.
- Understand the role of the hold map and how to view your library's hold map online.
- Monitor ILL requests to determine library collection needs.
- Know how to access context sensitive online help in Symphony for instructions.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Office when other helps don't help.
- Be able to check the status of patron requests in VDX and OCLC.
- Be able to use Federated searching using GoWYLD.net page and to use the e-journal portal / Serials Solutions database.
- Know how to access and maintain information for your library in the OCLC ILL policy directory.
- Be familiar with guidelines or ILL codes of any ILL groups your library participates in. Examples include WYLD, OCLC, and LVIS (Libraries Very Interested in Sharing) libraries.
- For those libraries using the OCLC ILL module, understand the OCLC administrative module and how it interacts with VDX.
- Know options that may be available for "non-supplied" requests.
- Know how to use the SirsiDynix customer resources via the SD Support Center. Email Brian Greene, WYLD Program Manager at email@example.com for access.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/reports.html).
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/dstation.html).
- Know methods to obtain interlibrary loans items that are not in VDX or OCLC or items in VDX and OCLC that do not have a supplying library.
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials | WYLDCAT (e-Library)