SKILLS: Acquisitions Skills Checklist
- Identify appropriate record (monograph vs. serial, author, title, publisher, copyright date, physical description, etc.).
- Understand the components of bibliographic records.
- Understand and know the steps of 9xx ordering (WYLD Technote).
- Know the General Skills and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/email/lists.cfm).
- Know MARC Format and WYLD Database Guidelines.
- Be familiar with the WYLD Network page and the helps available.
- Configure SmartPORT settings in order to add or request records from LC or OCLC (WYLD Technote).
- Add a temporary record according to MARC Format using the Acquisitions On Order Template.
- Add or request records from LC or OCLC and be able to overlay existing temporary records from LC or OCLC.
- Know the different types of orders that can be placed: basic (approval, firm, gift), dated (membership, subscription), and recurring (blanket, standing order, monographic serial).
- Understand linking versus loading ("Load Order Line Holdings to Titles" wizard).
- Understand and use appropriate Holding Codes.
- Know how to create, modify and remove the following:
- Basic orders
- Know how to receive items in an order.
- Know how to create, modify, pay and remove invoices.
- Know how to rollover to a new fiscal year.
- Know how to access context sensitive online helps.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Office when other helps don't help.
- Know how to remove volumes or copies from orderlines and the catalog.
- Know how to place recurring and dated orders.
- Know how to locate and resolve temporary (on-the-fly) records that either need to be removed, enhanced to level 2 of bibliographic description, or overlaid with records from LC or OCLC.
- Know how to use the SirsiDynix customer resources via the SD Support Center. Contact the WYLD Office for access.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist (http://library.wyo.gov/wyld/network/groups/training/reports).
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist (http://library.wyo.gov/wyld/network/groups/training/dstation).