Dear Serials Person/Director:
The Online Quality Committee has been struggling with how to improve serials management in the WYLD database. Seventeen libraries/systems responded to our request for comments on the serials recommendation. There are 44 libraries/systems in WYLD. We want to hear from more of you and understand more about the reasons for your decisions and the problems you are facing. Database quality is every library’s responsibility.
The governing board has voted that all WYLD libraries create free text summary holdings statements for serials and that all WYLD libraries be encouraged to fully utilize the serials module (1-15-98 and 12-19-00). In addition, the online Quality committee approved this motion: “
OQC strongly recommends that libraries choose to accept WYLD recommendation #2 which states that no more than 60 issues per periodical title are maintained in the database for each library. Statewide Cooperative Collections would be exceptions, as well as periodical collections that are held by a single library in the state. The OQC will readdress the issue of serials in a year's time to determine what problems still need to be addressed. Libraries will be surveyed about current practices and asked to reply by May 1.”
Please respond by May 1 to the survey.
The Online Quality Committee
- Region I-Sukey Hohl, Sublette County Library email@example.com , 367-4114
- Region II-Lynn Pitet, Buffalo Bill Historical Center, firstname.lastname@example.org , 578-4080
- Region III-Diana Oedekoven, Gillette Campus Library, Sheridan College, email@example.com , 686-0254 x1453
- Region IV-Donna Rusk, Converse County Library, firstname.lastname@example.org , 358-3644
- Region V-Crys Stratton, Laramie County Community College, email@example.com , 778-1201
- Region VI-Claire Francis, Uinta County Library, firstname.lastname@example.org , 789-1328
- Susan Simpson, Chair, Albany County Public Library, email@example.com , 721-2580 x 15
more committees |
network members |
wyld docs & technotes