online quality homepage
| network members homepage
Online Quality Committee
Thursday, Nov. 20, 2008, 11:00 am – 11:35
- Call to Order
- Roll call
- Present - Kristy Hardtke, Nancy Jennings, Susan Stanton, Stephen Sarazin, Cindy Moore, Martha Hanscom, Des Saunders, Bobbi Thorpe.
- Absent - Kay Carlson
- Changes or additions to the agenda, approve agenda and minutes from last meeting, October 30th, 2008
- None. Both agenda and minutes approved unanimously.
- Results of e-mail survey about audiocassette vs. bookontape item types
- No action taken. There was a discussion about how a few libraries use audiocassette to describe music cassettes, versus audiobooks on cassette. Des said she would talk to the libraries in question and see if they would consider changing the item type to MUSIC or some other designation (since such items are unlikely to be retained long-term).
- Grouping item types for advanced searches
- Des said it would be possible in the advanced search function of iBistro to create a single multi-item search for like items (e.g. for audiobooks, using one search to simultaneously look for materials in bookontape, CDbook, and playaway formats). The only trouble, she said, is that such groupings must be done statewide, they cannot be customized to individual locations. Committee members were asked to bring suggestions to the next meeting about which item types would be most helpful to be grouped together in a search category.
- Removal of little-used locations
- Powell is the only library in the state using “basement” for its items in storage. Librarians said they still prefer “basement” but would adjust if it was eliminated. Beth said she would e-mail them further about it.
- Uinta has moved its items formerly located in “HISTORICAL” to “special,” so HISTORICAL will be deleted.
- Natrona has moved items out of the otherwise-unused location LEARN_CTR, so it is ready for deletion. Susan said Natrona’s circulation staff was particularly grateful to have this difficult-to-explain location eliminated.
- Announcements & Comments
- Kristy said CWC director Carol Deering would be retiring in June.
- Susan asked about how call numbers in iBistro would display in future releases. Des said the next release, in the 2nd quarter of 2009, should have the first call number display scoped by lookup library (in the current release the software displays the FIRST call number added, no matter which library in the state added it.)
- Schedule next meeting
- The committee unanimously agreed to skip meeting in December and to set the next meeting for Jan. 15, 2009 at 11 a.m.
- The meeting was adjourned at 11:35 a.m.