online quality homepage
| network members homepage
Online Quality Committee
Wednesday, November 1st, 2006, 10:00 a.m – 11:00 a.m.
Announcements - No new announcements
Schedule next meeting
- Call to Order
- Roll call
- Karling Abernathy was not present. Des and Bobbi represented WSL/WYLD.
- A guest, Kay Carlson was present, Cary Hartmann was unable to attend the meeting.
- Changes or additions to the agenda
- Beth added an addition to the agenda. Beth received an email from Dale
Collum asking to discuss ebooks that the academic libraries are considering
purchasing as a group purchase and have these records loaded into WYLD.
- Request for discussion regarding a contents note issue brought forward by Carey Hartmann, Laramie County Library System
- Kay gave some examples of how keyword searches produce false hits. Stephen
gave an example of the importance of contents notes for music cd’s and the
the ability to do a search using the song title. Beth suggested the problem is a
matter of educating the public on keyword searches.
- Consensus from the committee is to keep the contents note in.
- Beth will send Carey Hartmann an email explaining the committees reasoning behind keeping the contents notes.
- Serials – discuss what we want to accomplish and how to accomplish it
- Bobbi stated that the problem with serials is the number of barcodes attached to individual records.
- Beth commented that the limit is 60. Bobbi said the problem is
enforcement and the majority of libraries are not complying. Stephen suggested running a report to see which serials are over. Beth suggested a training session on serials at the annual WYLD meeting.
Kay made the suggestion that the region representatives be informed of which libraries are not complying so they can help follow up. Carol suggested complying could make a difference in their WYLD fees.
- Issue tabled until next meeting.
- eAudiobooks service
- The WYLD Office loaded the Netlibrary records to WYLD-ER.
- Des brought up the issue of the records being loaded into WYLD-ER and if
a different library in Sirsi should handle ownership. Des said a lot of
libraries have asked her not to couple their libraries searches with WYLD-
ER because it pulls in government documents and other records.
- Carol moved that the committee make a recommendation to Lesley to form
another ER library in the state system to house the Netlibrary ebooks. Beth
seconded the motion, motion carried unanimously.
- Item types – discuss survey results
- Beth said 19 libraries responded to the survey.
- Sheridan county indicated in the survey results that if an item is checked
out you can’t see the item location display. Not all libraries use J in the
call number field to designate the item is Juvenile.
- Mary Jayne made a motion to leave the AV Juvenile types as they are.
Greg seconded the motion, motion passed unanimously.
- User activity logs
- Issued tabled until next meeting.
- New business - No new business.
- The next meeting will be Wednesday, December 6th at 10 AM.