online quality homepage
| network members homepage
Online Quality Committee
March 30, 2006, 1:15 p.m.-2:15 p.m.
Online Quality Committee
NEXT MEETING: April 27, 2006 11:15 a.m.-12 p.m. was approved unanimously for the next meeting time. The WYLD Annual Meeting is on June 1 and 2 in Sundance, Wyoming.
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Present: Bobbi Thorpe, Carol Brown, Des Saunders, Donna Rusk, Martha Hanscom, Mary Jayne Jordan, Susan Simpson.
- Absent: Karling Abernathy and Sukey Hohl.
- Introductions:: No guests.
- Changes or additions to the agenda: Series statement (440 & 490) on WYLDCAT hit list page had been added to the original agenda. There were no other additions.
- Approve agenda: The agenda was approved as amended.
- Approve minutes of the meeting of February 23, 2006 (posted on web site): The minutes were approved without changes.
- OLD BUSINESS:
- Clean up from graphic novels decision: The consensus was that catalogers will clean up issues with these records as we find them.
- Series display: The committee voted unanimously to show the 440 and 490 series statements in hit lists on the production server.
- NEW BUSINESS:
- Item Type Review - Consider combined AV equipment into one and manuscript
- The committee received various responses regarding the way libraries use the item types under consideration, and a few requests for new types. Not a great deal of response though. Des will discuss YA-AUDIO proposal and proposal for new EBOOK item type with Sweetwater. We think there may be other solutions to the issues they brought up in their proposal.
- Des explained some of the differences between the various forms of “eBook” plans and licensing that might affect the database in the future.
- The Recorded Books contract with the state is almost complete. Des explained how those items could be added to the catalog without great complication. More troublesome will be records for individual library holdings for plans they subscribe to separately.
- How to handle Individual-Library eBooks holdings will be on the agenda for the next meeting.
- Des has done a survey about some of these issues and will be distributing information about it before the meeting.
- There was no consensus for item type removals at this point. We didn’t get a lot of responses from libraries, so it seems people are relatively satisfied with the current list.
- MANUSCRPT item type: The committee voted unanimously to approve a MANUSCRPT item type, as requested by Karling.
- Ending terms: Susan, Sukey, Donna
- Members were encouraged to recruit candidates.
- The northwest area of state needs representation.
- Having more public service people on the committee could be helpful.
- The terms end at the annual meeting, June 2nd.
- Database Guidelines review coming — screen shots will change with Java client, so could consider collecting comments, but not updating until after GL 3.0 upgrade. The committee decided to wait on this until we move to GL 3.0 to make this more effective and workable.
- We’re still not sure exactly when the upgrade will happen.
- Clarification will still be solicited from users.
- Susan will draft a letter for the next meeting.
- Annual report: Susan will draft an annual report for the committee’s approval, and it will be presented at the Annual Meeting.