ONLINE QUALITY COMMITTEE REPORT
WYLD ANNUAL MEETING
June 1-2, 2006
The Online quality Committee asks for your comments and suggestions for the next edition of the Database Guidelines (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/guidelines/
). The committee is working with the WYLD Office to compile a list of items to consider. Send comments online using the form at http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/guidelines/comments.html
The committee has decided to postpone a review of the guidelines until after the proposed software upgrade GL 3. Since all the screen shots will change, the committee believed it would be more efficient to wait.
However, your comments on the guidelines or any other online quality issue are always welcome.
DRAFT ANNUAL REPORT FOR ONLINE QUALITY MEETING
The Online Quality committee met nine times by conference call in 2005-06. It reviewed locations and items types as promised. It also decided to postpone revising the Database Guidelines until the proposed GL software upgrade.
In other actions, the committee
- Reconsidered and rescinded its decision on removing RESERVRM as an item type
- Adopted guidelines for reporting JSTOR titles in WULP
- Limited items types displayed in advance searching in the pac
- Streamlined Item category 2
- Continued to solicit member library comments on issues
- Recommended creating a form for reporting duplicates
- Recommended creating a form for reporting comments on database guidelines
- Trained on how 9XX ordering works with Acquisitions
- Trained individually on merging duplicate records
- Supported the change in serials display date range (i.e. 1929 – present)
- Supported moving to the new Sirsi interface
- Recommended catalogers decide locally whether or not to delete the machine generated links in imported records
- Recommended using the monographic format for graphic novels, not serials after surveying member libraries
- Recommended masking the copy number of the WYLDCAT display
- Recommended changing the display language for number of “copies” to “items” in light of multi-volume sets.
- Added the item type MANUSCRIPT
- Approved updating the look of publication information on the full details in WYLDCAT so that publisher, pagination, date, and ISBN are not on separate lines
- Approved the series statement appearing immediately after the title in full details so it displays consistently
A summary of the committee’s decisions is available at http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/quality/decisions.cfm Members can request changes in locations or item types at http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/docs/locrequest.html
The committee thanks those who responded to surveys, asked questions, and comments on proposals for their help with its work this year. Thanks to the WYLD staff who educated and helped us this year.
Three members are going off the committee, and we encourage public service staff to apply to broaden the committee’s representation. The committee encourages all libraries to think about their end users when considering changes.
The Online Quality Committee
Region I-Sukey Hohl, email@example.com
Region II-Karling Abernathy, firstname.lastname@example.org
Region III- MaryJayne Jordan , email@example.com
Region IV-Donna Rusk, firstname.lastname@example.org
Region V-Stephen Sarazin, email@example.com
Region VI-Carol Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan Simpson, Chair, email@example.com