FEES/BUDGET COMMITTEE ANNUAL REPORT
JUNE 5-6, 2008
The Committee's objectives were
- to review the proposed FY 09/10 WYLD network budget and fee structure;
- to solicit and consider comments from members; and
- to reach consensus on a recommendation to the network Governing Board.
At the first meeting on April 24, the committee confirmed that they favored continuation of the currently used formula for determining member fees. In the proposed FY 09/10 budget, expenses increased by $87,188. Joe explained that the increase was attributable to the following factors:
- inclusion of the cost for Director's Station,
- cost for the LSSI contract (authorities processing),
- increased costs for server maintenance, and
- increases in staff salaries.
The proposed budget including member fees was presented to the membership with the request that questions and comments be directed to regional representatives.
The committee met on May 9 and reviewed questions/comments including the following:
- Is it possible that holdings numbers generated by Director's Station are different from those generated by running reports? At least one library's staff expected holdings to have decreased substantially after extensive weeding, and they did not.
- Some librarians reported that they would feel better about paying higher fees if upgrades were implemented more quickly.
- Directors need to know what fees will be earlier in the budget cycle.
The majority of questions that committee members received were regarding the mechanics of how fees are determined.
The committee agreed that it would be helpful to have a concise explanation of how network fees are determined posted on the network's web page. Brian and Jack will draft an explanatory document and present it to the committee this fall.
The proposed budget and fee structure was presented to the Governing Board on May 13, 2008.
The chair extends sincere appreciation to the following committee members for their participation:
Region 1 - Debra Adams
Region 2 - Susan Richards
Region 3 - Sally Hoover
Region 5 - Julie Henion
Brian Greene (WSL)
Jack Willmarth (ex officio) - WSL
Patty Myers (ex officio) - WYLD President