fees/budget committee page
| network members page
WYLDCAT Members Fees/Budget Committee Meeting
March 18th, 2010
Committee members present were
Brenda McGinnis, Chair – firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan Richards, Region 2
Kathy Bjornestad, Region 3
Jack Willmarth, WSL (ex officio)
Brian Greene, WSL
Also present was
Susan Simpson - Training Committee
Not present were
Deb Adams, Region 1
Julie Henion, Region 5
Mary Jayne Jordan, WYLD President (ex officio)
- Brenda called the meeting to order at 10:30 a.m.
- Agenda Review
One change was made in the agenda—discussion on training was moved to the top.
- Funding Request from Training Committee
Representing the WYLD Training Committee, Susan Simpson requested that funding for training be included in the FY11/12 WYLD budget. Susan cited the need for face-to-face training that is consistent in terms of content and presentation. She noted that one option might be to contract for a pool of trainers, one for each region, who would be qualified to train in the following areas: Acquisitions, Reports, Cataloging, Java Client, Serials, Reserves, Circulation, Policies, Director’s Station and General Skills. Annual estimated cost: $13, 440.00.
Brenda thanked Susan for her input and advised her that the committee will consider her request.
- WYLD Expenses & Cost Recovery Proposals for FY11/12
Jack and Brian led the review of the spreadsheets that had been emailed previously to committee members:
- Total WYLD cost for FY11/12 is estimated at $630,410 compared to FY09/10 cost of $540,700.
- A depreciation fund for replacement of the servers, based on 6 years (24 qtrs.), is included in the Maintenance-Hardware & ITD Costs. Two new servers have been ordered at a cost of $268,000 (WYLD pays for 40%; state pays for the balance.)
- 5% increase is budgeted annually for hardware/software use.
- The OCLC WZV charge, $5,900, covers Bobbi’s log-on fees in order to pull OCLC records for libraries.
- Staff salaries and benefits were underestimated for FY09/10. The 2.75% increase is to cover increases in benefits only—no raises.
- Administrative Overhead @ 8% includes travel for WYLD staff to the SIRSI Conference and other administrative costs—invoicing, etc.
WYLD Network Budget
- Cost recovery for FY11/12 is estimated at $252,164 compared to FY09/10 cost recovery of $223,223.
- There are no changes anticipated in the process by which overhead fees are determined.
- Base fee for most institutions is $750; for special institutions it is $375.
- If LSTA funds are available, they will be applied as a credit against overhead fees for county libraries. Availability will not be known until 10/10 at the earliest.
- Total network budget for FY09/10 is $17,600. This is based on a network fee per institution of $400.
- The network has been spending less than it is taking in. Currently the network has almost $76,000 in reserves.
- Network fee/institution could be reduced and still provide funds required.
- Network reserves could be the source of funding for training.
- Summary of Actions to be Taken
- Brian will compile further information on LMS and other training opportunities.
- In order to prepare FY11 budgets, directors need to know overhead fees for their institutions. Jack will send information next week (week of March 22).
- Brenda will email directors to alert them to expect overhead fees from Jack and to direct questions/comments to their regional representatives on the Fees/Budget committee.
- Brenda will email committee members to let them know to expect questions/comments.
- In the next couple of weeks, a subsequent Fees/Budget committee meeting will be scheduled in order to
- discuss questions/comments received by committee members;
- establish what the network fee per institution will be for FY11/12;
- determine if funding for training will be included in the proposed budget, and if so, what the amount of funding will be; and
- finalize a recommendation to the Governing Board.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:05 p.m.