wyoming state library > wyld > members > annual > minutes

WYLD COUNCIL MEETING

May 9, 1997
  1. CALL TO ORDER
    Susan Simpson, Chair, called the meeting to order at 9:10 a.m.
  2. II. ROLL CALL
    Albany County
    Big Horn County
    Campbell County
    Carbon County
    Casper College
    Central Wyoming College
    Converse County
    Fremont County
    Goshen County
    Hot Springs County
    Laramie County
    Laramie County Community College
    Laramie County School District #1
    Lincoln County
    Natrona County
    Niobrara County
    Northwest College
    Park County
    Platte County
    Sheridan College
    Sheridan County
    Sweetwater County
    Teton County
    University of Wyoming
    Western Wyoming Community College
    Weston County
    Wyoming State Library

    Nancy Petersen, Whedon Cancer Foundation, Sheridan, was introduced as a potential voting member.

  3. ANNOUNCEMENTS/SECRETARY'S INSTRUCTIONS

    Helen Higby, Sweetwater County, requested that everyone speak up so they would be recorded for the minutes. Also, a motion form needs to be filled out for each motion.

    There were no announcements.

  4. APPROVE AGENDA

    There were no changes to the agenda.

    Susan reviewed which documents everyone should have for the meeting:
    Minutes of the special meeting of February 20
    Minutes of the regular meeting of February 21
    Summary of the Strategic planning meeting
    Summary of the notes of the session were handed out at this meeting
    WYLD report
    State Librarian's report
    Copy of the revised By-laws
    Copy of the proposed Governance agreement
    Database Products committee report
    Finance committee report and business plan
    ILL report
    Final Internet committee report
    Nominating committee report
    Ariel support needs assessment

    The agenda was approved.

  5. APPROVE MINUTES OF FEBRUARY 20 AND 21, 1997

    Susan Simpson declared the minutes stand approved as read.

  6. REPORTS

    A. Susan Simpson, the out-going Chair of the WYLD Council, concluded by thanking everyone, especially the committee chairs for the pleasure of working with them. She also pointed out that we haven't solved all our problems with the revised by-laws. We need to continue to take responsibility for ourselves, looking at the WEB page, reading our e-mail, and reading our manuals. We are going to be continuing to adjust to a changing world. The State Library was an independent agency; it is no longer.

    B. WYLD Office: Corky Walters reviewed the last year of WYLD planning, accomplishments, future planning, by-laws revisions, governance, structure of the network, finances of the network and the strategic planning session.

    She announced that those involved with the strategic planning process through the summer will be the new members of the governing board and others as they are drawn into the process.

    Corky reported that Rod Miller and Jerome Halpin have both left the State Library. The State Library will try to fill Rod's position in a timely manner. Mark is currently handling the WEB page; Mark and Ivan are handling the WILL front end server.

    Corky requested that each library include money in their budgets for the annual WYLD fees. The annual fee structure FY 97, FY 98, and FY 99 report from the Finance committee was discussed briefly.

    Corky said that the members could register for the Internet training session that best fits their schedules.

    Corky reported that the WYLD office would probably return to a pager service for answering emergency questions. There will also be an 800 WYLD status line put into place to enable the WYLD office to take multiple calls at a time. This should be adopted around the first of June.

    The CARL access contract with UW has been revised. It is not ideal and the State Library will work on that contract with CARL to see if it can't be improved.

    It is now possible to produce a WYLD statistics report from the State-wide report for each library.

    DRA has refunded the fees for the DRA electronic data exchange because the vendors we wish to do business with do not have that capability as yet. This will be put into operation as soon as is feasible for the State.

    Susan Simpson asked about the OCLC searching. Corky explained that this only applies to the libraries that do OCLC searches and are WZV libraries that brought in records from OCLC even though there was no dedicated access point to them. These libraries have been doing their own searching. The State Library has done a cost analysis of that and found that it is quite expensive and inefficient to do. It will be more cost effective and efficient for the State Library to do the OCLC searching and to add those records so the WZV libraries have been requested to send those searches to the State Library. Corky stated that the turn around times should only be 2 days. This will begin July 1, 1997.

    C. State Librarian - Jerry Krois: Jerry thanked Susan Simpson on Helen Meadors' behalf for the work she has done as the WYLD Chair this last year. Jerry then distributed and read a thank you letter from Helen Meadors to Susan Simpson.

    Jerry reported on the Document Delivery plans and the funding for that project; the ILL lending cost estimates; the replacement of WYLD staff funding with general fund dollars; expanding or obtaining money for Cooperative Collection Development initiatives in the State. Helen Meadors is also looking at the possibility of offering better cataloging services to libraries around the State perhaps through centralized or distributed cataloging support.

    We are under a new federal program called Library Services and Technology Act. The Resource Sharing Council met at the end of April to set out some guidelines for what that program will look like. Jerry and a few others will be developing the five year plan and will submit that to the State Library Board for their July 19th meeting. Jerry said he hopes to have that document on the WEB in early June for everyone to look at and have time to make comments before the July meeting. Jerry went on to explain some of the changes this will make to the process.

    Corky Walters: Under the new LSTA guidelines would school and special libraries be eligible for grant funds in any way?

    Jerry Krois: The Resource Sharing Council has recommended that all types of institutions be eligible to become users of LSTA. We have added schools, special libraries and museums so that partnerships can be developed with LSTA funds.

    Jerry was asked if the responsibilities of what used to be the Advisory Council have devolved to the Resource Sharing Council. Do they actually set policies and make decisions about the awarding of the grants made by the State Library Board?

    Jerry explained the decision making process of awarding of grants. All the grants, the priorities, and criteria were developed by the Advisory Council; then the State Library used those to make recommendations to the State Library Board. This will be the last round of money sitting out there for grants. We have to use all the Title II money as Title II money as it cannot be rolled over into other projects.

    Jerry was asked if the previous LSCA money was by Federal statute, for public libraries only, or was that a state-level decision.

    Jerry Krois: By federal law and now its been bundled together. There are two areas, one is called Technology and the other general area is called Special Services or Special Clientele. We have the flexibility now to define that.

  7. COMMITTEE REPORTS

    A. Bylaws & Governance: 1. This committee has met for the last two years. The draft of the bylaws is on the WEB page. The heading is Bylaws of the Wyoming Library Database Network Revised February 1997. There are two parts of the Bylaws which are not attached to the document. One is the Organizational chart, the other the Governance Contract which has not yet been approved so that section in the Bylaws has been left blank. When the Governance Contract is approved that language will be inserted here and a revision will be published.

    Western Wyoming College is now present.

    2. Governance: The Governance document was on the WEB page. The Bylaws and Governance Committee has not had a chance to review it. Jerry Krois will lead the discussion.

    Jerry Krois: The document that has been on the WEB in many versions has not been significantly changed. Jerry stated that he and Corky had done some general language cleanup in spots, and then under point 5, Responsibility of the State Library #B. Helen Meadors had not been satisfied with the general language concerning equipment and support so that was also clarified. The first seven items are specific to this contract. The last 3 or 4 pages under General Provisions are all standard text from the Attorney General's office.

    At this point there was a question about 7 B 3, "Disposal of equipment will be made in accordance with federal and state regulations, if purchased in whole or part with federal or state money." If a member library purchased items using member library funds and then was reimbursed for that expenditure by the State Library what is the implication of that? What is the implication where there have been divisions, like County dollars or foundation dollars from the member library have purchased 50% of this piece of equipment and 50% of it came from funds from the State Library, state or federal dollars?

    Jerry stated that the State Library has been trying to keep an inventory track of when equipment is purchased with federal dollars because that is a requirement. Certain amounts of equipment out there are federally funded. If you go back in those grant announcements there's a line out there that says when this equipment is no longer used it must be returned for surplus.

    Joe French: This is an area that you have to be really careful of. Equipment that was purchased with state or federal funds, supplemental budgets, or grants that we refunded or reimbursed, those purchases, in about 2 or 3 years when it's time to replace those pieces of equipment, the question arises - who do they belong to? Whose responsibility is it to replace those? In our standard budget we are now going to get an allowance for replacement of equipment. In the 60-40 relationship that we have, with the pc's a part of the WYLD Network, if it's your equipment then you replace it at your own cost. If it's the State's equipment then the state will share in the cost of replacement. If the State buys the pc, it will be on the State inventory and will be State insured.

    Jerry Krois: What we need to do internally is take some time to readdress this because new information is coming out and the State Budget process is dynamic, too, and a lot of things are changing. It has given us a chance to say there may be some different ways to look at how we can help the libraries out. How we can manage those dollars for you because there are advantages for a major piece of this equipment to be considered state owned so that the state takes care of a lot of this and it provides that amortization rather than the libraries having to provide that.

    Susan Simpson asked if everyone was clear that this was a change in language from the preceding draft. The preceding draft said that the items purchased with LSCA money would become the property of the member library. The State Library is willing to take on financial obligation for these machines which is very generous.

    Jerry was asked if the State Library has a list of what the State Library has paid for, what the State Library owns? Jerry said that they know that there is a lot of equipment out there individual libraries have purchased as PAC terminals, printers and other pieces of equipment so we'd have to compare that, but the State Library knows what they have picked up.

    Discussion followed about how to establish a base line of ownership of equipment.

    B. Database Products: The report is located on the WEB page.

    C. Database Quality: No written report.

    D. Finance: The report is located on the WEB page.

    E. ILL: The report is located on the WEB page. Carey Hartmann thought this should be discussed by everyone. It was suggested that the Interest Group hash out some of the details and then bring it back to the large group. Mary Robinson said that something else the Interest Group needs to look at is the local request designation. This is an issue only for the large multi-branch systems that have enabled the request option on the PAC.

    F. Internet: The report is located on the WEB page. Eve Lynes encouraged everyone to distribute and access the reports on the WEB page. She said she will be on maternity leave but will volunteer to continue doing the WEB pages for the libraries.

    Bill Stewart made a motion that the WYLD Network express its appreciation for the work of Rod Miller in assisting the member libraries in implementing the DRA system, the WEB page and other automated efforts. Carey Hartmann seconded. Motion carried.

    Eve encouraged the Training Committee to read the Internet Committee report, and suggested that the group use e-mail more.

    G. Nominating: Slate of Candidates for WYLD Network:
    Vice Chair/Chair elect - Marcia Wright
    We are also accepting other nominations
    Governing Board Member at Large - Alice Meister
    We are also accepting other nominations
    Special Library - Nancy Peterson
    We are also accepting other nominations
    WYLD Foundation - Lucie Osborn and Dorothy Middleton
    We are also accepting other nominations

    Susan Simpson called for additional nominations.

    Charle Paben nominated Isabel Hoy for the WYLD Foundation.

    Susan closed the nominations with Isabel Hoy being added to the list of WYLD Foundation members. She stated that this is a three year term.

    There was a question posed as to how long each term was.

    Debbie Iverson explained that later today the committees would draw straws for terms of membership so that not everyone's term will expire at the same time and we have some continuity. The Finance Committee has concluded its service and now becomes the Foundation Committee. The responsibilities of the Finance committee are now the governing board's.

    Election results: The Vice Chair/Chair Elect is Marcia Wright; Governing Board Member at Large is Alice Meister; Special Library representative for the Governing Board is Nancy Peterson; WYLD Foundation is Lucie Osborn and Isabel Hoy.

    H. Reports: Jennifer Thayer

    Jennifer gave a brief explanation of the DRA "Canned" Reports document.

    I. State-wide Borrower: Sid Stanfill

    Sid stated that the State-wide Borrowers committee had not met for about a year and is getting geared up for re-convening. Sid also discussed the survey results and the disparity between people's understanding about what is going on with the state-wide borrowers card and with the policies that are in place. Most people feel that a uniform policy is needed and the other issue is having one card.

    Debbie Iverson brought up the issue of the State Library financially supporting the mailers for returning the materials to the owning library and the cost of materials replacement above $25.00. she stated that we need to be sure the State Library is willing to continue with that or find another way to fund that. That would take the sting out of the concerns people have.

    Sid agreed it might be a good idea to send out the original policy again to everyone so they can have it fresh in their minds and take a look at it once again. He suggested making it available as a Tech Note, possibly on the WEB.

    There was a question about what the cost was to the State Library for postage on the mailers so far. Sid said that to his knowledge there had not been a request for a mailer or money to the State Library.

    Susan Simpson asked if anyone had been keeping track of the mailing and lost materials expenses. Apparently not everyone understood that the State Library was going to help with these costs.

    Sid explained the original intent of the mailers as being a way to put the burden of postage on the patron and not on the participating libraries. The State Library agreed to continue financial support through the fiscal year.

    In summary Sid stated that we need a mechanism in place to file for postage or lost materials. Everyone needs to know that they can file for postage from the State Library, and about the possibility of larger mailers. We also want to take a look at better NC stats that will give everyone a better impression of what is going on state-wide in terms of transactions.

    In the discussion of out-of-state ILLs Jerry Krois offered that the State Library would for the next year, cover the cost of lost or damaged materials of out-of-county patrons.

    The move toward a state-wide borrowers card would eliminate a lot of the problem with patrons having 2 or 3 cards with outstanding fines, materials, etc. In the initial discussions about not issuing a card if the patron has outstanding fines, it was discovered that the academic institutions could not deny library privileges to students regardless of other circumstance.

    J. Training: Diane Martin: There was no report.

  8. VII. Installation of officers

    At this point Susan Simpson stepped down and Debbie Iverson, the new president of the WYLD Network took her place.

  9. MEET BY REGION

    The groups are to meet at 11:00 a.m. by region and elect a representative to the Regional Council, which convenes at 11:30 a.m. in room 150. The work of the Regional Council is set forth again in the agenda. Then we are to lunch on our own and be back by 1:00 p.m. The Governing Board meets at 1:30 p.m. and we do have an appointed recorder. Sandra Donovan has agreed to be our next recorder, and we will elect a Vice-chair.

    Break for lunch.

    At this point Debbie announced time changes as follows: At 1:00 p.m. we meet by region; at 1:15 p.m. Regional council will meet; at 1:45 p.m. Users will meet by type of library; at 2:30 p.m. the Governing Board will meet, the Interest Groups will meet and the Committees will meet; and at 3:00 p.m. we will re-convene as a whole in room 150.

    Susan reminded Debbie that when you meet by User Group and Type of Library there is one vote for each member. Each library has one vote whether it is a county library or school library.

  10. RECONVENE AS A WHOLE, Room 150

    A. Old Business
    1. Ariel Support Needs Assessment - Debbie Iverson: The Ariel Technical Support System was set in place a year ago so that the University and the State Library was not overwhelmed with support issues, especially bringing public libraries up on the Ariel network.

    Debbie reported that the feed-back she has received from the libraries involved with Ariel stations is for the most part positive, that things are working well. A few people made suggestions that she has incorporated as a recommendation sheet which has been mounted on the WEB. The community college Ariel operators were asked to work as first line of defense for their neighbors at public libraries who had Ariel stations just to work them through the software process. It was not intended that those Ariel operators be able to handle deep technical questions, but be the first line of defense in the system. For the most part that is working. We want to make provision for on-going training related to Ariel. That training has not been assigned to a particular person yet. We have also asked that an Ariel e-mail list be established at the State Library. Debbie suggested that list be called ariel@will. That would be a way for people to share issues, concerns and solutions. The Training committee might want to look at this as one of the tasks they take on.

    2. ILL - Mary Robinson - We began by addressing the question of payment to the libraries that need to charge for AV on ILL. Laramie County would still prefer to bill libraries every quarter. This seems to be the most convenient option for everyone involved due to the difficulty of tracking payment. This decision will be revisited in October when we reevaluate AV on ILL.

    At this point the ILL Committee recommended that AV charges on ILL will be billed by the lending library quarterly.

    The other concern raised at the ILL Interest group about AV on ILL is packaging. The ILL Committee had invited libraries to send out their own restrictions. The group today thought that this was one area where we could perhaps have a state standard and agree that to protect our materials, AV on ILL should be in boxes rather than in jiffy packages or even bubble wrap.

    There are some guidelines on the ILL distribution list for inspection of AV's. There is a little more detail to the inspection of audio/visual materials than there is for a book. The recommendation is that when you receive an AV ILL you have your staff inspect it to make sure its all there and not broken or damaged before you check it out to your patron. Then when it comes back from your patron, before you break that link so you still know who had it, you check to make sure everything is as it should be. If it comes back to the lending library with a problem, the lending library is going to bill you for that AV item.

    Mary suggested that each library participating in the AV ILL make up their own AV form with the information about how many tapes were contained within this package when you sent it; the receiving library could note how many tapes they received; then when it comes back from the patron how many tapes were there.

    3. Cataloging Quality Committee - Lesley Boughton: The Database Quality Committee moves that we will delete 6 unused or under used material codes as follows: #21 Newspaper; #24 New Kit; #32 Typewriter; #37 Reference Microform; $48 Loaned book; and #51 four hour loan. We recommend that you add the following: CD Book, Overhead projector, Cam-corder, microphone, and Reserve room. The motion carried as recommended.

    B. New Business:
    1. State Telecommunication - Lesley Boughton: Lesley will ask that the Wyoming Education Technology Plan be distributed at least to library directors of both public and academic libraries. This is an edit pending copy, the plan itself has been adopted but all the editing should be complete by the end of the month. This contains the plan for the regional service centers. The regional centers might offer the opportunity for the State Library to contract with the regional technical center to provide the technical assistance to you, either in maintenance of computers, or learning software.

    Lesley Boughton has worked with the panel which is writing the request for proposals for the telecommunications connections to the schools in Wyoming. That is a legislative mandate which requires all high schools have interactive video capability by July 1, 2001 and data transport capability by July 1, 1998.

    Branch libraries in Wyoming are also expected to eventually have connectivity even though this is not required by legislation.

    2. State Library Business Plan - Joe French: The decision to develop a business plan was made last fall. The purpose was to develop a WYLD business plan to provide the A & I director with a better idea of what the WYLD is all about and try to secure initial approval for an expanded budget. The new A & I director has verbally agreed to support an expanded budget. The director made some suggestions that will be included and then the document needs to go to the governor and then on to the legislature. The director was also concerned that the counties would not be able to handle the 40% financial responsibility where it has been 20% in the past.

    C. Announcements
    Debbie Iverson began by thanking Kevin Anderson and the Casper College staff who helped coordinate this meeting and also the University of Wyoming who allowed us to use their facility.

    She acknowledged Helen Higby for doing the minutes of the WYLD Executive Board meetings.

    Helen Higby requested that people not leave until they had signed the card for Rod Miller.

    Jerry Krois reported that the Wyoming State Library Publications office has been working on an updated WYLD brochure. The last automation brochure is many years outdated. Linn Rounds invites comments; let her know what you think of it. The new 800 number service is in place and the new menu will be effective probably June 1st.

    Helen Meadors Maul is planning on convening a continuing education summit later this summer, bringing together all the parties involved in various types of continuing education. The WYLD Network will be invited to that summit.

The date of the next meeting was set for May 8, 1998.

Debbie Iverson adjourned the meeting.