Wyoming State Library announces intent to purchase 3M Cloud Library as 'early adopter'
November 15, 2011
I am happy to announce that the Wyoming State Library will contract with 3M to become an early adopter of 3M's Cloud Library. We hope to begin implementation in January 2012 and we hope that this downloadable eBook platform will provide a good solution for our state. More details about this new service will follow as we begin implementation, but here is brief review of some of the features.
- Every library in the WYLDcat system will have access to a shared site with a shared collection. (Unfortunately, 3M cannot currently work with multiple authentication services, so UW patrons cannot be included in the license.)
- We will purchase title-by-title and will own the titles we purchase. Like most other downloadable eBook platforms, 3M employs a one-book, one-user-at-a-time model.
- New titles can be added to the group collection and will be accessible to everyone. Some Wyoming libraries have already offered to contribute funds to add more titles to our collection.
- 3M currently works with most eReaders except for Kindle. We know that this is a disadvantage. 3M also knows that this is a serious disadvantage for their product and they are currently negotiating with Amazon.
- 3M has developed eReaders that can be purchased by libraries and circulated among patrons.
Again, we will know more soon and will keep you informed as the implementation progresses. If you have questions, please ask and I will do my best to find the answers. Also, please refer to the 3M Cloud Library overview for more information, or to this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOYSQv-12RY.Maggie Swanger
WYLD Shared Purchases Committee Chair
Laramie County Community College
mswanger @ lccc.wy.edu